Thursday, December 24, 2015

A Few of My Favorite Things

Mr. Fezziwig is my all time fictional hero!
The Christmas Post
"He had a broad face.." and he is cracked, alas
        Lo these many years ago when I still lived in Buffalo at 231 Kenville, I belonged to the Book of the Month Club. This did not mean I had to purchase a book of the month, so I did not overindulge. At this point in time, I remember getting a one volume collection of Edna Ferber, another of Ellory Queen, a collection by Dashiell Hammond, and another by James M. Cain – and except for Ellory Queen which I gave to my Dad, I still have all of them on my shelf here with me. The actual featured books of the month, whenever I was lulled into buying them, turned out to be momentarily titillating reads that were immediately forgettable.
The Christmas Ball
          For a few years, however, at Christmas, the BOMC featured stained glass ornaments – one per year. They appeared to be collectors' items, and since I very much like stained glass, I purchased one each year for four years. I don't know if they were discontinued after that or for some reason I stopped buying. But every Christmas I hang them in a window. And they are precious to me. 
         When I was very young, Mom had among the family Christmas decorations a table centerpiece that was a block of Styrofoam covered with plastic ivy – on top was a sleigh with a couple of reindeer, and there were four holes for candles. For some reason I was fascinated with this centerpiece and put it into my head to have something just like it someday.
Sleigh Centerpiece
          It was not until I was in my thirties and we moved to Oklahoma that I stopped by a local candle-shop one day and decided I was going to purchase something as close to that old Styrofoam centerpiece as I could find. I ended up with a wooden sleigh that holds three candles and the plastic ivy can weave between the tapers. It really was not at all like what Mom had on our table every Christmas – but now, after all this time, I really love it. Today it is in a window beneath the stained glass ornaments – it has new sprigs of plastic ivy that I got from Michaels last year at half price – spruced it up quite a bit!
          Hopefully when the girls and grandchildren think back on the Christmases of their youth they will remember how special the BOMC ornaments and red wooden sleigh had been to me!

357 20151223 A Few of My Favorite Things

No comments:

Post a Comment