Sunday, December 13, 2015

Speedy Delivery

   


    When we lived in Texas there was a huge new development being built a few miles north of where we lived in Plano. They called it a subdivision, but being Texas, it was more like a whole new metropolis arising out of this humongous chunk of farmland sold to developers. Christmas of 1988, the girls and I rode up and walked about the model home which was decorated for the holidays. It was beautiful, but it was also apparent that this subdivision would be ‘way out of our price range.
        The next year, for the 4th of July, I read in the local paper that there were going to be fireworks just before dawn at the new metropolis. Well that sounded like a fun excursion – I was guessing not many people would have seen the notice in the paper and even fewer would want to get up before dawn on a holiday? We could go and have the fireworks almost all to ourselves!
Turns out everyone in the State of Texas was heading toward the fireworks that morning! We hit bumper to bumper traffic within a couple miles of home. We sat there on the road in the stopped traffic in the dark. After a couple of hours, we saw a few fireworks in the distance. Then the sun rose, and we went home. Real bummer.
        Not long after that the new metropolis came to my attention once again. The girls and I were watching Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood on PBS on morning. It was fund-raising time, and it was announced that the new mega subdivision had built a house and had donated it to PBS! Wow!
        The local PBS station was having an auction, and the home would go to the highest bidder!
        To help publicize the event, Mr. McFeely, the Speedy Delivery mailman from Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood, was going to be in town at the donated house at a certain time to sign autographs!
        Once again, I thought this was something fun that would not attract too big a crowd – so the girls and I headed up there at the specified day and time.
        I was almost wrong again.
        The traffic getting to the subdivision was not bumper to bumper or even especially concentrated, but there was a long line waiting to see Mr. McFeely (played by an actor named David Newell). He was sitting at a card table inside a tent set up in front of the PBS auction house.
        I don’t know if Sarah, who was five, or Amanda, who was three, were really interested in meeting Mr. McFeely, but their Mom thought it would be neat. And so we stood in the long line. The girls might enjoy being able to tell people in future years that they met Mr. McFeely and have an autographed picture!
        Now, for reasons I won’t go into here, this was not a good time in my life. I was sad most of the time. Standing in that long line that day, I tried to squelch what I was feeling, and  I filled my mind with the happy thoughts of being with my two adorable daughters and doing something fun with them and fun for them.
        We got to the table. Mr. McFeely said hello to the girls, looking them in the eyes. He took a photograph from his stack and started to sign his name. He asked Amanda and Sarah how they were doing that day? They said, “Fine.”
        Then he looked up at me! It took a moment to establish eye contact. Mr. McFeely asked, “And how is Mom?”
        He didn’t have to do that, but he did – he asked how I was. And that got through my veneer and my sad and touched the part of me that had been long forgotten – the part that said I was worth something.
        I stammered out, “Fine, thank you.”
        He handed the photo to the girls. We said thank you and stepped aside.
        We can’t solve everyone’s problems.
Mr. McFeely asked, “How is Mom?”
And that made a difference.
        Would that we could all be the sparks of hope for others in need.
347 20151213 Speedy Delivery
       


McKinney, Texas 1989
        

No comments:

Post a Comment