Sunday, December 27, 2015

Make Love, Not War

spring 2007, Atlanta, Georgia
       The Jesuit college I went to, freshman year being 1971, had no problem with evolution. From day one it was apparent that evolution was an accepted concept and studies proceeded from there. My anthropology teacher had us reading Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who among other scholarly accomplishments, was a Jesuit priest. He had a theory called the Omega Point which stated that humans were still evolving, and our intelligence will continue to grow until the end, omega point where we are one with God. How about that?
          It seems to me that evolution today is still about survival of the fittest – if the wars of the world continue, it will be the strongest, that is, the ones with the biggest guns or biggest muscles or biggest population that can be sacrificed, who will win. Or if there is a huge natural disaster which results in famine or radiation or even computer or electrical shut down – there are few evolvers-to-godhood who would know how to grow their own food!
          But if we could do away with war – all live in peace, we could focus our energies toward surviving the natural disasters. And we could evolve to something better. I have faith that this is possible – peace is in our genes.
          Back in 2007 – eight years ago now, I marched in a war protest in Atlanta – protesting the fourth anniversary of the beginning of the war in Iraq – it seemed so inconceivable that we could let this go on at all, let alone for so long! (And look at us now!) I made a sign that said Peace on one side, and Join the Evolution on the other. I thought it might make people who saw it want to believe they were in the in group who had the capacity to evolve toward peace in their genes; it also implied that those who believed in war did not have the peace genes and were maybe the simpler, less evolved human beings.
           Captain Kirk and so many others, most of whom are real and not fictional, would disagree with me and claim it takes both kinds to survive and head toward the Omega Point. To that I merely reply,
           Imagine.
           Later that year I entered a peace slogan competition – I drew a pair of blue jeans, and up one leg I wrote Join the Evolution and down the other leg I wrote Peace is in the Genes. I submitted it but then realized that the pun of genes/jeans is maybe not that cute – it reminded me of the scene from the movie, The Way We Were, when Katie was yelling for peace on her college campus during World War II, and someone held up a sign that said, “Any peace but Katie's piece!” (years later, Hubble said to her, “if only you had laughed when you saw it!”) Yeah, maybe the world is not mature enough for peace in the genes. Anyway, I never heard back from the competition. Maybe I'll make the jeans myself.
            Imagine – you giving birth to the child who gives birth to the child who reaches the Omega Point! There will be no war then – and there will be time and resources to figure everything out, including all that Teilhard de Chardin was saying – because he was 'way over my pea brain!
           The fifth of the statements in my philosophy of life is the one that is quite common to all – Make Love, Not War.
The picture was taken by Al Viola, a peace movement videographer - thanks Al!


360 20151226 Make Love, Not War

No comments:

Post a Comment