Sunday, December 20, 2015

We Had a Good Year....

     When it comes to Christmas traditions at our house, I have to confess to being one of those folks who not only writes out a newsletter, but I love receiving holiday newsletters from our loved ones. In fact, I archive them! Some people, perhaps even the majority of folks, scoff at the tomes written by individuals in lieu of a Christmas card – they are considered boastful and impersonal – but they don't have to be looked at that way, especially if we consider the season and the concept of unconditional love – accepting everyone, especially our loved ones, just the way they are.
      In the beginning, I sent Christmas cards. It seemed too impersonal just to sign my name, so I started adding messages to each card. After a while, the messages got longer in an effort to update people I had not seen. And then the messages began to all sound alike, so why not type up one version and pass it along to everyone?
      One year I realized I was sending a Christmas card along with a picture of the girls and a typed update. That seemed like too much – so I streamlined with just the newsletter and a picture of Sarah and Amanda.
      After a while I tried to have a theme for the newsletter that interwove with the update of our lives for the past year. And while I like to stick to the highlights, I tried not to sound too boastful. The newsletters got long mainly for my own creative outlet, and so then I tried to scale back.
      When Mike and I got together, he helped me figure out how to include pictures on the newsletter instead of separate snap shots. The newsletter got long again so as to include Mike's children and eventually the sons-in-law and grandchildren up to this point in time. Nowadays, the creative challenge is to come up with a theme which is a holiday message for the reader, a succinct update of everyone which is neither too boastful nor too humble and not too many words, a picture page collage that encapsulates the year and includes all.
      This year the theme was merely a repeated thank you to everyone in our lives special enough to be on our Christmas card list. A batch went out in the mail yesterday, and another today. The remainder will go out Monday after purchase of more envelopes and stamps. And some will be sent by e-mail. We send out a lot more Christmas greetings than we receive – but we would not know how to pare the list. Sometimes we run into folks we have not seen in years, some of them from Mike's list who I had not ever met before, and their faces light up when they see us because they know us so well from the annual newsletters, and it is clear that they have enjoyed receiving them!
      So to those who scoff at the Christmas newsletter – I don't care. Writing them, sending them, receiving them – this is one of the funnest parts of the holiday for me – every single year!

353 20151219 We had a good year...

No comments:

Post a Comment