Monday, December 28, 2015

Believe!

          A reputation for unyielding seriousness preceded my college microbiology teacher. It was rumored that the year before I had her, she was told by the administration to dole out a few more A's and a few less fails. I have no idea if that was true – but it gave me hope! The teacher did seem very serious as she lectured each class. Giving us the basics of microbiology was important, and the material took up the whole semester – leaving little time to stretch beyond the introduction to this incredible field, little room for more than what was required of us and her.
            The teacher's hand-outs, however, revealed the professor's personality.
            At the top of each, was a quote from Alice Through the Looking-Glass!
            Mull that over for a moment – Microbiology and Alice together on the same page – on a different day, a different microbiology worksheet paired with a different Alice quote!
            Two of the quotes I saw on the hand-outs I still remember after all these years:
                    “I see nobody on the road,” said Alice.
                    “I only wish I had such eyes,” the King remarked in a fretful tone, “To be able to see Nobody! And at that distance too!”

and:
                   “I can't believe that!” said Alice.
                   “Can't you?” said the Queen in a pitying tone, “Try again, draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.”

            Microscopy can be compared to a trip through the looking-glass. And microscopists can see and believe and make some sense out of the unknown. Those who do not peer down the microscope will come to trust what the others have seen.
           And at that distance too!
           But a part of me thinks maybe our teacher was also suggesting when she mixed Alice with the assuredness of science that we shouldn't forget the possibility we might all merely be just a part of the Red King's dream!
361 20151227 Believe


No comments:

Post a Comment