Thursday, December 3, 2015

Amanda's Cooking Trilogy

2011 Christmas Brunch - Tony and Amanda Cooked
       Whenever Amanda talks about a mishap in the kitchen, no matter how small or how big, and she is usually, always, laughing about it – we have to go over the Amanda cooking trio to see if the latest incident measures up to the ultimate three cooking stories from Amanda's youth.
       Story one – Amanda and I were home together one weekend afternoon – she must have been middle-school aged.  Amanda mentioned food, and one of the suggestions for something to eat was a serving of homemade mashed potatoes in the freezer - she could just heat it in the microwave. So Bodie put the container of mashed potatoes in the microwave – pushed the defrost button and turned the microwave on. Well, the potatoes went through a couple of defrost cycles but were still frozen through and through (we weren't well acquainted with defrosting using the microwave – probably doing something not quite right). So I suggested that Amanda put the potatoes in a pan on the stove – they would not take long to heat through that way. And she said okay.
        I was puttering around the house, but something in my head was asking me to pay attention. Finally I asked myself what could be wrong – and I walked to the kitchen, lifted the lid of the pan on the stove with the heat turned on, and discovered exactly what my brain was warning me about – the entire plastic bowl with mashed potatoes was in the pan!
        Yes, the plastic container can go in the microwave like that! Why can't it go on the stove? I proceeded to heat up the mashed potatoes for my child by removing the potatoes from the plastic container and putting them into the pan on the stove – what kind of mother was I anyway?
        Story two – the girls were older at this point. It was summer, and they were home. One or both of them were driving and they had to go somewhere. They were both getting ready to go out. And then Sarah asked Amanda if she was all set to go? Bodie answered that she just wanted to reheat her cup of coffee in the microwave. Again, with the microwave. She put the coffee cup in, set the microwave for one minute, pressed the start button, and walked away. I don't know if it was Amanda who remembered, or Sarah, but suddenly they ran back to the microwave because the coffee cup had some metal in the handle!
       The microwave was on fire!
       Sarah unplugged it and carried the microwave down the stairs and out the back door to the middle of the back deck where she set it down on the cement. The fire went out. And the girls ran their errands.
       The microwave was kaput.
       Story three – Amanda was in college. In fact, it must have been her junior or senior year because she was living in an apartment instead of the dorms those years. She had set up a nice kitchen and enjoyed fixing meals and trying to be thrifty during those lean years of college. One of the things I had given Amanda for her kitchen was my crockpot – I had a feeling she would make more use of it than I did.
       One day when we were talking about recipes, I asked about the crockpot. Amanda said, “Yeah, uh, about the crockpot – that's a goner.” It seems that there was a recipe one day that called for a crockpot. So Amanda set it all up. The first thing the recipe said was to brown the meat. Bodie put the crockpot on the stove, put the meat in the crockpot, turned the stove on, and proceeded to brown the meat in the crockpot on the stove burner! And the bottom of the crockpot fell out. Recipes should specify if meat should be browned in a pan other than the crockpot, don't you agree?

337 20151203 Amanda Cooking Trilogy





No comments:

Post a Comment